This is a job posting for a position with Equable Institute, based in New York City. The position is available as remote role from anywhere in the United States.
The individual in this position will be taking the lead in managing Equable’s “TeacherRetirementU” program, including building out organizing and membership capacities, creating content, managing the TRU digital curriculum, organizing financial literacy webinars, and developing custom-designed working groups for select educators who want to deep dive into learning how their retirement benefits work. Learn more at https://teacherretirementu.org/
*Knowledge about retirement policy or teacher pensions is not required (we can teach you!), but would be a significant plus*
- Work with educator groups to organize, plan, design, and execute one-off financial literacy training sessions and multi-week discussion groups, all of which leverage Equable’s research data and TeacherRetirementU (TRU) curriculum materials.
- This will involve communicating with various organizations, understanding their needs, and ensuring that partnering has mutual advantage.
- This will also involve building powerpoint decks, modifying graphics, and drawing in state specific data/research from across Equable’s various sources of information.
- Organize and lead multi-week discussion groups that are designed to help teachers dive deep into understanding the financial structure of pensions and other retirement plans, understand what problems exist in their state to be solved, and understand the range of solutions to those problems nationally that have been developed.
- This will involve creating agendas, building relationships with group members, creating/modifying powerpoint decks, delivering presentations, finding ways to ensure individuals are learning information, and collaborating with other issue experts who can help with co-presenting materials and answering questions.
- Provide support to teachers who want to form a coalition of educators (something that emerges out of the discussion groups) to raise raise awareness about problems that they think should be a higher priority.
- Work with Equable’s communications team on strategy for executing digital distribution of TRU materials to attract new audiences to the material.
- This will include being the point person on the execution/creation of any marketing materials and collaboration with outside media partners.
- Lead the organization of content updates to the TeacherRetirementU.org website and various modules of curriculum materials; help design one-pagers, FAQs, and other documents that can help teachers with understanding materials and sharing information with others.
- Eventually lead financial literacy training sessions (generally using Zoom) with groups of teachers (and other educators) to educate them about how retirement benefits work in their state.
- Work with Equable leadership on all strategic decisions related to the future development of the TeacherRetirementU program.
The ideal candidate will have a mix of skills including being a clear communicator in webinars, with a comfortability building engaging content in powerpoint, the ability to understand financial analysis, and experience organizing individuals (such as through membership groups).
- 3 to 7 years of work in education policy, membership services, and/or teacher organizing
- Strong familiarity with digital tools for webinars and group organizing
- Strong expertise in Powerpoint and related presentation software
- Some graphics design skills are a plus
- Some years of experience as a public school educator are a plus
- Demonstrated ability and experience in teaching in a plus
- Passion for supporting the improvement the quality of public sector compensation and financial stability
- Prior experience with or knowledge about public sector retirement systems is a plus, but not required — we can help train you on the subject matter to teach others about
Notes on the Position
- This position is funded by a grant covering at least 12 months; the continued existence of this position is dependent on the renewal of funding for the TRU project (which will depend on the success of activities in this role).
- Individual will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with the Executive Director.
- Likely salary range $55k to $65k.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance benefits (provided through a Health Reimbursement Account).
- Retirement benefits are provided through a 403(b) program with up to 10% of salary employer matching contributions.
Apply Now: Send an email to [email protected] with subject line ‘Application: TeacherRetirementU Director’ and include your resume and a one-page cover letter with your relevant experience, why this job is appealing to you, and why you are passionate about working for non-profits on education policy.